As families around the country prepare to gather with loved ones for the Thanksgiving holiday, the House passed a tax bill that would threaten the health and economic security of many low-income and middle-class families.
This Thanksgiving, talk turkey about taxes! It’s not too late to protect our health care and our families. Here’s what you can do:
1. Contact your Senators today to tell them not to sacrifice Americans’ healthcare to give tax cuts to the wealthy.
- Reach any Senator through the Senate switchboard at (202) 224-3121, or
- Use this toll-free number set up by Service Employees International Union (SEIU): 866-426-2631
2. Talk to your family and friends about what this tax bill does:
- Increases the deficit by almost $2 TRILLION
- Immediately cuts Medicare by $25 billion
- Sets up future trillion dollar cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security to pay for the tax cuts and fix the deficit
- Ends the medical expense deduction – hurting at least 4.5 million people with incomes less than $75,000
- Increases taxes for 47% of families with children
This article made possible by generous support from the Retirement Research Foundation.
Your Guide to Talkin’ Turkey About Taxes
Download the “Talk Turkey About Taxes” flier produced by the Medicare Rights Center and Center for Medicare Advocacy.
Share the flier with family and friends and start a conversation about the tax bill and how we can protect our care and financial well-being.